Case Study: Data Center Modernization with HPE Synergy
Financial Tax Software Provider Achieves $1M Cost Savings with Infrastructure Modernization
WEI’s customer, a financial software company that provides tax reporting solutions to the financial industry, began experiencing performance issues with their cloud environment due to an aging data center architecture. Maintenance costs for this architecture were escalating and the end user experience was suffering. The operating system was running complex integrations on legacy hardware with very limited backup or DR functionality. Upgrading would require someone with a highly specialized skillset to manage the operating system.
Given the complexity of their infrastructure, and their highly valuable data (encryption was a critical requirement), the customer consulted with WEI to determine the best plan forward—upgrade the existing equipment, or migrate to a newly designed modernized infrastructure that could be replicated to their off-site DR, development and testing environment.
WEI conducted a thorough architecture assessment and was able to demonstrate $1M cost savings with a new solution featuring composable infrastructure. WEI designed a highly available data center infrastructure solution optimized for performance that met corporate standards and financial industry regulations.
WEI’s project manager, solution architect and team of engineers led the design, migration, and implementation efforts in collaboration with HPE infrastructure, storage and networking experts to ensure an optimal solution was delivered to the customer.
The new solution featured HPE Synergy with 3PAR storage all flash arrays, Qumulo’s highly scalable file storage system for hybrid IT running on HPE Apollo servers, Aruba Networking switches, and management clusters of HPE ProLiant DL360 servers.
This new flexible, highly available solution resolved the customer’s challenges and delivered the following results:
- $1M of cost savings with implementation of the HPE Synergy platform
- A 10X reduction in data center footprint with all flash storage
- All flash storage fully encrypting data at rest
- Reliable, scalable, high performance and cost-effective file storage using encrypted disks
- Network traffic now stays within the logical enclosure—reducing latency and increasing bandwidth
- New blade technology can change the function of compute blades easily, providing the customer a dedicated development environment
- Workloads could be moved easily between the two sites—improving efficiency for development and testing
- Full failover between the two data center locations—improving DR capabilities
- 40 GBPS providing high performance, ultra dense switching
- Performance improvements of 73%-91% across several database operations
The WEI team worked closely with the customer throughout implementation and conducted training for their system admins on HPE Synergy, 3PAR, and the VMware vSphere suite at WEI’s Knowledge Transfer Center.
Ultimately this modernized data center positioned the customer for success by reducing costs, stabilizing the environment, improving speed to market, and enhancing customer satisfaction.
|Are you looking for opportunities to cut IT costs?
Wondering how you can improve data center efficiency?
Contact WEI today to start a discussion.
Download a copy of this case study and share with your team.
Get to know HPE Synergy in this episode of Real Tech with WEI.
WEI is an innovative, full service, customer-centric IT solutions provider.
Why WEI? We go further.
At WEI, we’re passionate about solving your technology problems and helping you drive your desired business outcomes. We believe in challenging the status quo and thinking differently. There are a lot of companies that can take today’s technology and create a great IT solution for you. But we do more. We go further. And we have the customer, vendor and industry awards to prove it. WEI is a premier technology partner, who always puts our customers first while providing the most innovative solutions for over 25 years.